5 Key Qualities For Success That Increasingly Favor Young Professionals
“变化”和“不确定性”这两个词定义了我们今天的世界。中国经济正经历着重大转变，越来越重视消费者和服务，英国脱欧、特朗普当选美国总统也有着巨大影响。此外，颠覆性技术（例如移动应用、社交媒体、人工智能）和新的商业模式（例如O2O /线上线下、P2P /点对点（如Uber，AirBNB）、共享办公空间）也在不断发展，冲击甚至改变着各行各业的各个公司。
Change and uncertainty, these are two words that define our world today. There’s China’s major shift towards a more consumer and service-based economy, the huge implications from Britxit, and Donald Trump’s new presidency. In addition, there’s the constant development of disruptive technologies (e.g. mobile applications, social media, artificial intelligence, etc.) and new business models (e.g. O2O/online-to-offline, P2P/peer-to-peer (ex. Uber, AirBNB), etc.) that are transforming industries and companies.
Not only do all these events have a huge impact on your career situation, they also mean new capabilities and qualities that are needed to be successful, whether you’re a business or an individual. In response, certain qualities are becoming increasingly important to succeed in this brave, new world. Here are five that are becoming more and more critical. Actually, most of these qualities favor younger professionals. Overall though, in today’s market conditions, those who have them will achieve greater success over those who don't .
1）敏捷 － 与“敏捷”相对的是“反应迟缓”。要想在当今商业环境中跟上快速的变化和不可预测性，你需要能够对变化做出快速反应。这并不是让你对周围的一切盲目地做出回应。但如果你在采取新方向和新情况时感到困难，那么你会面临巨大的挑战和困难。
1) Nimble – The opposite of nimble is slow to react or respond. However, to keep up with the fast-paced change and lack of predictability in today’s business environment, you need to be able to respond quickly to change. This doesn’t mean reacting blindly to everything going on around you. But if you’re someone who has a hard time getting yourself to move in new directions and to take on new situations, you’re going to face big challenges and difficulties in your career.
While being nimble is not necessarily a quality that only young people possess, this word and the ability to change and be flexible are usually associated with those who tend to be younger and more energetic.
2）适应性 － 每个行业和公司都面临着前所未见的挑战，许多传统情况和成熟的商业模式正经历着巨大的变化。一个很好的例子便是电子商务对所有处于消费品、消费者服务或零售相关行业人员产生的影响。另一个是社交媒体对营销、公关或通讯行业人员的影响。
2) Adaptable – With every industry and company facing challenges that they’ve never seen before, many traditional situations and proven business models are undergoing dramatic change. A good example is the impact that e-commerce is having on anyone who is in a consumer products, consumer services, or retail industry. Another is the effect of social media on everyone in a marketing, PR, or communications function.
These days, you can’t be someone who thinks too conservatively or is resistant to change. If you can’t adapt to today’s new realities, you’ll become less competitive in what you do. Conversely, you’re going to be much more successful if you can be open to the changes and new realities that are a growing part of our world.
Again, younger professionals do not necessarily have a more natural ability to be adaptable. However, with less experience and fewer engrained habits and existing ways of doing things, they don’t have to change something first before they try something new.
3）学习能力 － 随着你周围的商务情况发生改变，你也必须做出改变。这意味着你要具备学习新技能的能力，以便运用对我们生活影响越来越大的新技术、新平台和新渠道。尤为重要的是，你的软技能，特别是沟通交际能力有多强？运用社交媒体的能力如何？融入数字世界的程度如何？
3) Trainable – As business realities around you change, so must you. This means your ability to learn new skills that can allow you to utilize the new technologies, platforms, and channels that are becoming a bigger part of our lives. In particular, how strong are your soft skills, especially your communication and people skills? How capable are you with social media? How much are you able to participate in today’s digital world?
While all of these may have been less relevant to your job and career success before, that’s not the case now. As such, your ability to learn new things fairly quickly is an essential factor for your ongoing success.
Similar to adaptable, younger professionals don’t need to undo or unlearn something before they learn something new. For instance, in our company, the younger staff we hire with no recruitment experience always learn our consulting approach faster and perform better than those who have previous recruitment experience that is heavily sales-oriented. With no other way to do it, our younger staff just do what we teach them. While those with recruitment experience struggle to resist their previous habits and approach.
4）表达能力 － 无论你喜欢与否，我们现在都处于社交媒体的时代，它影响着我们个人和职业生活的方方面面。能与他人建立联系的人比其他人拥有更大优势。即使你不处于营销、销售或前端岗位，清晰沟通、传达信息、向他人表达独特价值的能力对成功的重要性也在与日俱增。
4) Expressive – Like it or not, we are now in the age of social media, which is impacting so many aspects of our personal and professional lives. Those who are able to reach out and connect with others have a big advantage over those who are less able to do this. Even if you’re not a marketing, sales, or front-end professional, your ability to communicate clearly, deliver messages, and express your unique value to others is becoming increasingly relevant to your success.
If you’re someone in your 20s, you pretty much grew up in the social media era. It’s always been a part of your life and way of communicating with others. While for many of us who are older, posting our thoughts and comments so openly and frequently on social media is not our habit.
5）上进心 － 事实上，我主要将这个特质和变化的工作环境相联系。我这代人中的大多数面临的就业形势意味着一个更加正式的公司环境。它是有组织结构的的，清晰的。公司告诉你什么时候怎样去做每一件事。
5) Self-driven – Actually, I mainly relate this quality to the changing orientation of work situations and environments. I’m part of the generation where the employment situation for most meant a more formal, corporate environment. It was structured and defined for you. The company told you when and how to do just about everything.
Today, however, the direction of many employment situations and career choices is heading towards smaller, entrepreneurial companies and more flexible, attractive and employee friendly office environments. However, to work well in these environments, you need to be someone who is disciplined and who can self-manage yourself to get things done.
For instance, I caught up with a friend recently who is running a business out of the Naked Hub here in Shanghai, a fast-growing, shared office space company. However, while he was enthusiastic about how great his working environment is, he was also quick to say, “The problem though is at I have a hard time disciplining and motivating myself.” Well, if you’re working in a much less formal work situation, this is a huge problem. You may enjoy where you work more, but you’re not necessarily going to work more effectively and successfully.
Actually, in this regard, younger professionals are not necessarily more self-driven. But they are part of a generation that values and seeks more flexible, less structured work situations. Beyond the ability to independently drive yourself though, the key to performing in a more flexible, less structured situation is also having the discipline to manage yourself.
As I mentioned, the above qualities tend to be stronger in younger professionals who are at an earlier stage of their career. As the saying goes, old habits are hard to break. The older you get the more difficult it becomes to change. So if you’re someone who doesn’t have much experience at this point in your career, take heart! Instead, see how much you possess these qualities that are becoming increasingly relevant for your success. Many things that relate to career success these days are evolving in your direction, where you may even have an advantage over those who are older and more experienced than you.